About Lake Whelchel
Lake Whelchel is located in Cherokee County near the town of Gaffney. It is the primary water source for the town of Gaffney. The lake impounds Cherokee Creek and another unnamed creek. Additional water is sometimes pumped into the lake from nearby Broad River to supplement the water supply. There is one boat ramp and a picnic area along with restrooms.
- Size: 150 Acres
(More rules and regualtions are posted at the lake )
- A South Carolina Fishing License is required
- No swiming or wading allowed.
- A sign at the boat ramps shows rules and regulations.
- Boating permits are $ 25.00
- Picnic Shelter Rental – $ 100 deposit with $ 75 refunded after picnic shelter is cleaned properly. Reservations are taken at the Main Office.
For more information check out Gaffney Board of Public Works online.
I-85 Exit # 95 – Directions can be found with this Google Map of Lake Whelcel
More photos of Whelchel Lake
I’m from Taylors and I have a 150 on my boat is there a regulation for motors I am trying to fish this lake
Can’t put boat in unless you live I Cherokee county
I live in NC. Can I put my fishing kayak on the lake and fish?
Is there a fee?